Lately, I’ve been telling my children that all the green food is dinosaur food. So, this is dinosaur soup. It seems to be working. This soup is a favorite in our house; and, my husband asks me to make it over and over again!
Split Pea Soup
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 5 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 3 gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the onions and celery in 1/2 cup of veggie broth on medium heat until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and spices. Cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add remaining veggie broth along with potatoes, carrots, peas,
and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until peas are mushy and potatoes and carrots are soft (about 40 minutes to an hour).